Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Post About a Little Girl and Down Syndrome

As I have mentioned before my 1-year-old daughter, Arlet, has Down syndrome.

Before I proceed, yes my husband and I knew this before we adopted her and we would not trade her for the world. She is the happiest baby I know with a smile that can light up anyone's day and the biggest most beautiful brown eyes.

Each person with Down syndrome is different, but along with Down syndrome usually comes a variety of medical issues, both physically and mentally, that in-the-end affect each person developmentally.

One of the scariest health issues that comes along with this condition is heart problems. In fact, recent studies show that between 40-60% of children with Down syndrome have a variety of heart issues.

That is a lot of children.

Especially to a mother who worries every day for her little girl, hoping that she will grow up healthy and happy; with boundless and endless opportunities; with the ability to grow up and have a normal life, which includes a marriage a family; and that her syndrome never gets in the way of my baby's life.

And unfortunately, Arlet has a heart condition.

It is very small and minor, but to a mother it is anything but that; it is serious, scary, and stressful.

Luckily, it was caught early and Arlet is very young so she can recover quickly, but until my daughter has the operation to correct the issue and makes a full and healthy recovery, I will be a scared and a nervous wreck.

And yes, that is right, I said surgery. The s-word that no parent ever wants their child to experience. Even if it isn't as bad as it sounds.

So in exactly two weeks Wren and I will be driving our darling daughter to the hospital to have heart surgery. Arlet has a PDA (patent ductus arteriosus) which translates as a congenial heart disease that creates a dangerous connection between the aorta and the pulmonary artery in the heart. This needs to be corrected immediately to ensure 1) faster recovery and 2) as great health for our little girl as possible.

So we're preparing. We're preparing with doctors appointments, tons of prayer, hugs, family and friend support, and a lot more.

Because it's not easy.

And i'm scared. Very scared.

While I know the chance is miniscule that there will be complications, I cannot help but worry for my little girl because I love her so much. And that's what you do when you love someone, you worry.

And in the mean time, as usual, Arlet is happy and giggles and smiles as usual!

For some reason I have this feeling that she will go into the operating room in happy spirits full of glee with the biggest smile on her face.

That's my girl!

And I love her so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment